Public Power Scholarship Available
As your locally owned, not-for-profit utility, Stoughton Utilities works to not only provide reliable, cost-effective utility services, but to also support and enrich the community. One way we do this is to offer an annual scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to an upcoming high school graduate.
Scholarship recipients are chosen based on submitted application materials. To be eligible, the student's parents or legal guardians must be a customer of Stoughton Utilities.
- Students have the option of writing an essay or demonstrating the value of a public power utility through any other project of their choice.
- Essay submissions should address one or more of the following questions:
- What are the advantages of public power?
- Why is energy efficiency important?
- What could Stoughton High School do to reduce its energy use?
- Why should we as a nation invest in renewable energy?
- What is the most important issue facing municipal electric utilities in America?
- Other submissions should clearly demonstrate the advantages of public power through any medium of your choice; including but not limited to, a short video, educational brochures, flyers, etc.
- High school seniors may submit one of the above listed application materials to be considered for a $1,000.00 scholarship. One scholarship is awarded per calendar year. To be eligible, the student, their parents, or their legal guardian must be a customer of Stoughton Utilities at the time of scholarship disbursement.
- Essays should be 750 – 1,000 words, typed, and double-spaced.
- All submissions must include the following information:
- Student’s first and last name, home address, and phone number,
- Name of parent(s) or legal guardian,
- Stoughton Utilities account information, including the name on the account, the billing address, and the customer account number.
- Deadline for submitting essays is May 1, 2022. Please submit your application materials to Stoughton Utilities in the curbside drop box, by email to [email protected], or by mail to:
attn: Scholarship Application
P.O. Box 383
Stoughton, WI 53589
- Scholarship winners will be selected by the Stoughton Utilities Director. Winners will be notified by phone.
- By submitting application materials, you are agreeing to allow Stoughton Utilities to use those materials for promotional purposes. You may opt-out of this agreement in writing at any time.
Stoughton Utilities is a good source of information through interviews with employees and our website. More information about Public Power is also available at libraries or on the internet, including WPPI Energy
and American Public Power Association
Scholarship Payment: Scholarships are awarded to contest winners who plan on attending a post-secondary educational institution. The scholarship will be paid to the winner when a copy of a fee statement or other proof of enrollment is submitted to Stoughton Utilities. Bring or mail proof to our office, along with the address for the check to be mailedProof of enrollment must be submitted no later than November 30th of the year in which the scholarship is awarded.